Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Adventures in Food Blogging: Luke's

As often is the case with my food adventures, this was a recommendation from my roommate E's father Phil. An upstate New Yorker and serious foodie in his own right, I'm game for pretty much anything he tells me about.

The culprit today: Luke's Lobster (242 E. 81st St. -off 2nd ave- 212.249.4241)

Having recently relocated from the deep innards of Queens to the Upper East Side, it was about time to sit down and really explore the food of the neighborhood. In this case what Phil shared with me was a quick, quaint review of a place called "Luke's Lobster", an authentic Maine Lobster Roll joint getting some attention. Being ridiculously into seafood (I could survive on a diet of sashimi alone if given the choice) I dragged my girlfriend Stephanie and drummer/roommate Alex down with me to experience the place first hand.

First Impressions: The original review that piqued my interest brought me down to what was described as a "Down East Applebees" but really comes across more like a slightly more upscale lobster shack somewhere on the coastline in Bar Harbor. It's cute, a hair kitschy and very nautical. The menu is chalkboard and pretty straight forward. They do lobster, shrimp and crab (and sadly have been out of crab both times I've managed to sneak in).

The line (which was purported to be out the door) was short enough to be more than manageable both times I went, at lunch time no less when I would expect a crowd. Possibly heartier lines later in the day, but don't expect to be too intimidated.

The main event: Lobster Roll

Simple explanation - this is the best f@cking lobster roll I have ever had in my life. Without question. The lobster meat looks nothing less than a heap of succulent claws. The bun is toasted and buttery, and they don't overdo it with the spice or mayo. All in all, just a fantastic meal to go. The imported Maine sodas add to the overall freshly imported vibe, and they spin chips along with the roll and drink to make a quick and tasty combo.

Double thumbs up from me. Check this place out ASAP. And if you're downtown, it looks like they just opened up a new place on 93 E. 7th St. in the East Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment